Iran has said the Saudi-Pakistan-Turkiye defence pact reflects a changing perception of the United States among countries across the region.
Iranian Foreign Ministry spokesman Esmaeil Baqaei made the remarks during a weekly press conference on Monday. He described the agreement as part of a broader shift in regional security thinking.
Baqaei said countries in the region were increasingly recognising the importance of developing their own security capabilities. He suggested that reliance on external powers was becoming less central to regional security arrangements.
The Saudi-Pakistan-Turkiye defence pact was signed last week as the three countries sought to strengthen defence cooperation. All three states maintain close relations with Washington, although their regional security priorities are also increasingly shaped by developments in the Middle East.
Iran said it had no reason to believe the new security agreement was specifically directed against Tehran. Baqaei said Iran would assess the pact according to its content and the broader geopolitical realities of the region.
The Iranian spokesman also said regional security initiatives should reflect the historical and geopolitical realities of the Middle East. He argued that inclusive arrangements could help strengthen stability and reduce the risk of further conflict.
Baqaei further criticised what he described as reliance on outside powers for regional security. His comments came amid wider tensions involving Iran, Israel and the United States, adding significance to Tehran’s response to the Saudi-Pakistan-Turkiye defence pact.
The comments indicate that Iran is closely watching the development of new regional security partnerships. Tehran’s response also suggests that it views greater regional cooperation and independent security capabilities as important factors in shaping the Middle East’s future security landscape.