A senior Iranian official has said that Iran and the United States are not discussing an extension of their Iran US ceasefire, rejecting reports that the two sides had agreed to prolong the arrangement.
The official told Reuters that Tehran does not consider the previous agreement to have entered into a formal period that could be extended. The comments followed a report by Turkey’s Anadolu news agency citing Pakistani government sources.
Anadolu had reported that Iran and the United States agreed to extend a 60-day ceasefire under an interim agreement reached in June. Tehran has disputed that interpretation and said there was no timeframe to extend.
According to the Iranian official, the interim agreement was effectively violated shortly after it was reached. The source said the United States withdrew from the arrangement several days later, while President Donald Trump declared it over on July 7.
The 60-day period in the agreement was intended as a timeframe for Iran and the US to work toward a broader deal. The proposed negotiations were expected to address limits on Iran’s nuclear programme and the lifting of US sanctions.
Several conditions were also considered important before further negotiations could proceed. These included a ceasefire in Lebanon, freedom of navigation in the Gulf and arrangements allowing Iran to continue selling its oil.
The Iranian official said mediators were discussing the possibility of Washington returning to the interim agreement and establishing a timeframe for implementing its commitments. However, the source said there had been no progress so far, leaving the Iran US ceasefire situation uncertain.