Armed robbers looted Rs6.5 million from an Edhi Home robbery in Karachi’s Sohrab Goth area on Friday after allegedly following staff members carrying cash withdrawn from a bank. Police and the welfare organisation said the suspects targeted the centre shortly after the money arrived.
According to the Edhi Foundation administration, the cash had been withdrawn earlier in the day to pay employees as Friday was payday. Four armed suspects allegedly followed staff members to the Edhi Centre before entering the premises and taking the money.
The robbers reportedly held employees at gunpoint and escaped with the entire amount. Employees told police that all four suspects were wearing helmets, which could make their identification more difficult as investigators work to establish their identities and escape route.
Senior Superintendent of Police Central Dr Imran and a heavy police contingent reached the scene after the Edhi Home robbery. Police began collecting evidence and are examining CCTV footage from the surrounding area to trace the suspects and reconstruct their movements.
The Edhi Foundation has raised suspicion that a current or former employee may have facilitated the robbery. Saad Edhi said the suspects appeared to have detailed knowledge of the centre’s internal procedures and went directly to the office where the cash was kept.
Sindh Chief Minister Murad Ali Shah took notice of the incident and sought a detailed report from the inspector general of police. He described the Edhi Centre as an important support for poor and vulnerable people and directed authorities to assist the foundation while ensuring that those responsible are brought to justice.
Sindh Home Minister Ziaul Hassan Lanjar also ordered police to swiftly arrest the suspects, recover the stolen money and use CCTV footage and modern investigative methods. He directed authorities to strengthen security around charitable and welfare organisations across the province following the Edhi Home robbery.