Granada earthquakes

Three More Earthquakes Hit Southern Spain, Alhambra Access Restricted

Three more Granada earthquakes struck southern Spain on Tuesday, damaging buildings and prompting authorities to restrict access to the Alhambra. The tremors followed Saturday’s magnitude 5.0 earthquake in the historic city.

Spain’s National Geographic Institute said all three Tuesday earthquakes had magnitudes above 4.0. Regional emergency officials said at least three people suffered minor injuries, with one child taken to hospital.

The strongest tremor measured 4.7 and struck at 10:37 a.m. local time. Its epicentre was near Gojar, about 10 kilometres south of Granada city, according to the institute.

Authorities restricted tourist access to parts of the Alhambra complex after the latest Granada earthquakes. The medieval palace-fortress is one of Spain’s major tourist attractions and received about 2.7 million visitors last year.

Officials also closed administrative buildings, museums and sports facilities across Granada province. Primary health centres remained open, while the city’s metro system reduced train speeds as a precaution.

Local reports showed damage to several residential buildings. Cracks appeared in walls, parts of facades were dislodged and bricks fell onto pavements in some areas.

The latest Granada earthquakes have increased concerns following Saturday’s stronger tremor. Authorities continue assessing buildings and public facilities for damage while monitoring further seismic activity across the region.

 

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *