Israel carried out eight airstrikes on the Abu al-Duhur military airbase in northwestern Syria on Tuesday. The Israel airstrikes on Syria targeted the runway and storage facilities, according to reports.
A military source and a resident living near the base said the strikes caused no casualties. The attacks targeted facilities at the airbase, which lies about 70 kilometers from the Turkish border.
The Abu al-Duhur airbase had been inactive since 2013. During Syria’s 14-year civil war, control of the base shifted between forces loyal to former President Bashar al-Assad and opposition groups.
According to a military source, the base has been used as a training facility for Syria’s new military since the fall of Assad’s government in late 2024. The latest strikes targeted infrastructure at the facility.
The attacks came after Syria conducted air exercises in early August using Russian-made MiG-21 fighter jets. Those exercises were reportedly the first of their kind since Assad’s government was removed from power.
The Israel airstrikes on Syria drew criticism from Tom Barrack, the US special presidential envoy for Syria and Iraq. Barrack described the strikes as an unnecessary provocation that would not benefit regional stability.
Barrack said on social media that the United States was deeply concerned about the attacks. The strikes add another layer of tension to Syria’s security situation as its new authorities work to rebuild military institutions.