The Musk X Australia social media ban dispute has intensified after X criticized Canberra’s plans to strengthen enforcement of its under-16 social media restrictions. The platform claimed the proposed changes could conflict with international legal principles and affect digital services.
Australia introduced the world’s first law preventing children under 16 from holding social media accounts, which came into effect last December. The legislation has faced criticism from several major technology companies, mostly based in the United States.
In a submission to an Australian Senate committee, X argued that expanding the powers of the eSafety Commissioner could create privacy and legal concerns. The company said stronger document-sharing requirements may affect businesses and individuals outside Australia.
X also opposed plans to increase the maximum penalty for violations to A$99 million. The platform said forcing overseas-linked individuals or companies to provide information could create conflicts with international legal standards.
The company’s position has added a geopolitical dimension to the debate, with Elon Musk previously criticizing Australia’s social media restrictions. Musk described the policy as a possible way to control internet access, while supporters argue it protects young users.
Australia’s internet regulator has said its current powers are limited and make investigations more difficult. The eSafety Commissioner argued that stronger authority to obtain documents would help assess whether platforms are complying with the law.
Technology companies have also raised concerns about enforcement challenges. YouTube and TikTok said there is currently no completely reliable method to identify and block all underage users from accessing their platforms.
The Australian Parliament is still considering the proposed changes to enforcement powers. A Senate committee is expected to release its findings on August 25 as debate continues over online safety, privacy, and digital regulation.