The Karachi Chehlum procession began on Tuesday under strict security arrangements as mourners gathered to mark Chehlum, the 40th day of mourning for the martyrdom of Imam Hussain (AS), the grandson of the Holy Prophet Muhammad (PBUH). According to police officials, the main procession departed from Nishtar Park at 1pm.
Chehlum, also known as Arbaeen, is observed by Shia Muslims across Pakistan through mourning processions and religious gatherings. In Karachi, the main procession is moving through designated routes toward Hussainia Iranian Imambargah under extensive security arrangements.
Police officials said the front of the main procession had reached Eidgah Chowk, while the remaining part was moving from Britto Road toward its destination. Authorities have been monitoring the procession route closely to ensure the safety of participants and citizens.
As part of security measures, MA Jinnah Road was closed from Guru Mandir to Tower. Traffic police issued alternative routes for commuters travelling through Karachi’s South, Central, and East districts to reduce inconvenience and maintain traffic flow.
The traffic advisory included several alternate routes for residents. People travelling from Nazimabad, Liaquatabad, Hassan Square, and other areas were directed toward different roads to avoid the procession route and reach their destinations safely.
Karachi Additional Inspector General Javed Alam said that a large security force had been deployed for Chehlum-related arrangements. According to officials, 7,465 police officers and personnel were assigned for 108 processions, while thousands more were deployed at majalis and imambargahs across the city.
The Karachi Chehlum procession is being managed with heightened security, including road closures, patrols, snap checking, and monitoring of sensitive locations. Authorities have instructed police officials to remain alert and ensure peaceful completion of religious activities throughout the city.