Pak-Saudi-Turkiye defence pact

Pak-Saudi-Turkiye Defence Pact Is Defensive, Says PM

Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif has said the Pak-Saudi-Turkiye defence pact is entirely defensive and is not intended to promote aggression in the region.

Addressing the federal cabinet on Monday, the prime minister said the Makkah Joint Defence Agreement was designed to strengthen collective deterrence and promote peace, progress and prosperity.

Pakistan, Saudi Arabia and Turkiye signed the agreement in Makkah on August 7. Under the pact, an attack on any one of the three signatories would be treated as an attack against all members.

Shehbaz said the agreement was aimed at ensuring peace and stability rather than creating conditions for conflict. He described the pact as a source of strength for the three countries and the wider Muslim community.

The prime minister congratulated Deputy Prime Minister Ishaq Dar and Chief of Defence Forces and Army Chief Field Marshal Asim Munir on the signing of the agreement. He said efforts to establish the trilateral defence arrangement had continued for several years.

Shehbaz noted that Pakistan and Saudi Arabia had already signed a Strategic Mutual Defence Agreement in September 2025. He added that Pakistan and Turkiye had maintained defence and security arrangements for decades.

The prime minister also highlighted Pakistan’s longstanding role in supporting the security of Islam’s holiest sites alongside Saudi forces. He said the latest Pak-Saudi-Turkiye defence pact represented another extension of existing defence cooperation.

The agreement marks a new phase in trilateral security cooperation between Pakistan, Saudi Arabia and Turkiye. Islamabad maintains that its purpose is collective defence, deterrence and regional stability rather than military aggression.

 

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *