Lebanon Prime Minister Nawaf Salam has condemned an Israeli strike in southern Lebanon that killed seven people, saying the victims were not military targets. Lebanon PM Israeli strike remarks came after Israel said it had targeted Hezbollah infrastructure.
The strike hit the village of Ansar on Saturday, according to reports. Seven people were killed in the attack, including two women and three children, according to Lebanese officials.
Salam rejected Israel’s description of the location as military infrastructure. He stressed that the presence of women and children among those killed showed that the victims could not be considered legitimate military targets.
The Lebanon PM Israeli strike criticism comes amid continued tensions along the Lebanon-Israel border. The Lebanese government has repeatedly warned that further escalation could threaten efforts aimed at restoring stability in southern Lebanon.
Israel said its forces targeted what it described as Hezbollah infrastructure. The Israeli military has previously said that such operations are intended to prevent Hezbollah from maintaining or expanding its military capabilities near the border.
Salam called on Israel to stop what he described as a dangerous escalation. He warned that continued attacks could undermine international and domestic efforts to consolidate security and stability in the region.
The latest Lebanon PM Israeli strike dispute highlights the continuing disagreement between Lebanon and Israel over military operations in southern Lebanon. Beirut is urging restraint, while Israel says it is acting against Hezbollah-related threats.