Houthis Saudi vessels attack

Houthis Claim Attack on Saudi Vessels Off Yemen’s Mocha

Yemen’s Houthis claimed they attacked a Saudi military ship and four escort vessels off the coast of Mocha. The group said missiles were used in the attack, according to military spokesperson Yahya Saree.

There was no immediate confirmation from Saudi authorities regarding the reported attack. The claim comes amid rising tensions around the Red Sea and the strategic shipping routes connecting the region to international markets.

Mocha is a Red Sea port located near the Bab el-Mandeb Strait. The strategic waterway connects the Red Sea with the Gulf of Aden and serves as a major route for international commercial shipping.

The latest Houthis Saudi vessels attack claim follows another reported incident last Tuesday. The Houthis attacked a ship in the Bab el-Mandeb Strait, according to Yemen’s Saba news agency. Yemen’s transport ministry said four crew members were killed.

The Houthis announced a naval blockade against Saudi Arabia in the Red Sea in July. The group said the move was in response to what it described as a Saudi siege of Yemen. Riyadh has rejected the allegation.

Two sources from Yemen’s internationally recognized government said earlier Monday that the Houthis attacked a ship in the Bab el-Mandeb Strait with six missiles. They said the vessel had been out of service for more than a year for maintenance.

The sources said the vessel was believed to have been empty when it was attacked. The Houthis Saudi vessels attack claim adds to concerns over maritime security in the Red Sea and Bab el-Mandeb, a vital corridor for global shipping and regional trade.

 

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *